5 Rounds for Time:
7 Deadlift (275#/185#)
7 Handstand Push-ups
* From the 2009 Great Basin Regional Qualifiers
Scaling Handstand Push-ups:
The scaled HSPU on a box with Jorge:
- Pick a box (the higher the box the more load on the shoulders)
- Walk your legs back onto the box, keeping them straight (no knee bend)
- Pike your body and walk your hands in until the top of your head is directly over the ground
- Lower yourself so the top of head touches the ground
- Keep your eyes on the box and not the floor
- Push up and lock out as if you are doing a shoulder press
- Carefully walk your feet off the box
We find this scaling works well for getting people strong enough to progress towards inverted HSPU’s on the wall. Simply doing a handstand and then putting several AbMats under head limits the range of motion and avoids the toughest part of the HSPU; the point at which the arms are fully bent and the head is touching the floor (or one AbMat). If you cannot press out of that position you need to work on developing your press strength with either the box or a barbell.
In conjunction with developing the press and HSPU, don’t forget to practice the handstand! Do static holds, get upside down and learn to get in the “hollow” position.
Eli hit his 100th WOD milestone today! Congrats and welcome to the club. Hitting this many workouts ain’t easy!
Welcome back Maria, we are all glad to see you back in the box! You picked a heck of a WOD to come back to!
We welcomed a visitor from CrossFit Morristown drop in today for a WOD. Kristen is a CrossFitter from NJ and works out with our close friend from high school (Derek). She also competed on her affiliate team in the Northeast Regional Qualifiers. She introduced her friend Andy to his first WOD; “mini-Cindy”. Hope they stay friends!
Sean counting Kristen:
If you are signed up for the Whole 9 Workshop this Saturday you can go pre-pay online directly to them by going here and using the PayPal button. If you already dropped off a check you are good to go. Note the time is 1-5pm.