10 Rounds for Load of:
1 Snatch Grip Deadlift + 1 Hang Snatch (Squat)
* Rest 60 seconds between sets
3 Rounds for time:
25 Air Squats
3 Wall Climbs
25 Air Squats
3 Wall Climbs
It’s finally here. The 2013 CrossFit Games Open. A year has gone by and now the season begins! Are you ready to test your fitness? Even if you didn’t register to compete you will still participate by doing the Open as the workout of the day. Here is the scoop for tomorrow’s WOD. Please read and be prepared as this will be a weekly thing for the next five weeks.
- Each Thursday we will run the Open WOD for all classes.
- All registered and competing Open athletes will go first with a judge. Those not registered will be asked to help judge then after will go in the second wave to complete their WOD (without a judge).
- Please be on time to class (no different than usual) and ready to rock! The Open is a logistical challenge. The more people are prepared, helpful and attentive the smoother it will all go.
- Every Wednesday night I will post standards, rules and tips for the Thursday WOD.
- Saturday make-up at 11am for those who registered to compete in the Open but could not do it on Thursday. If you have a special circumstance for a different day please let me know. We will do our best. No make-ups for non-competing people.
- Coaches will complete the Open at times where we can arrange judges. Please respect space and equipment if you come in and a coach is completing their Open WOD.
Open WOD 13.1 Guidelines:
- We are not allowing general scaling tomorrow. Either you stay at the snatch weight you get stuck at or you will just use the same bar each round of snatches for the AMRAP.
- Example: You can do 30 reps of 75#/45# snatches but not 135#/75#. You complete the next round of Burpees and keep snatching the first bar at 75#/45# and go back to Burpees. Continue this for 17 minutes. If you cannot snatch 75#/45# then you will start with a lighter bar but must use that bar and load for the entire WOD.
- All judges must be aware of the tiebreaker rule. After each Set of 30 snatches you must have their time recorded on the scorecard. This breaks ties for people who get through a set of snatches faster than another.
- Women’s bar with metal 5# plates must go below the knee for the first 30 snatches, then with bumpers at 75# must return to touch the floor. NO 1# plates are required on a women’s bar for the Open. Women’s 15kg bar is considered 35# for the Open only. This is per the Rulebook. (I personally hate this rule. It’s BS. They should just publish the actual weight as the required load).
- Burpee is chest to deck, touch target with both hands to a target 6″ over top of full arm extension
- Snatch can be power, full, split but cannot stop at shoulders or be a C&J
- Stand all the way up each rep, feet together on snatch
- Keep moving through the burpees at a methodical and rhythmic pace. Do not sprint.
- Break first round of snatches into sets, take minimal rest.
- Use all weight changes as active rest. Don’t sit there breathing when you should be moving and loading the bar while resting.
- Second round of snatches do not try to cycle too many reps together unless you can snatch like Froning. Consider fast singles with a drop and re-grip.
- For burpees focus on chest up first then hips/butt while looking back between the knees as you jump your feet up. This will be the cue you should hear in your head “chest up, butt up, stand up” when getting off the floor.
- Keep your feet slightly wide in the burpee (hip width, not too wide).
- Have fun. You will get your ass kicked. That’s the beauty of CrossFit. One day fitter!
Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 17 minutes of:
75#/45# Snatch, 30 reps
135#/75# Snatch, 30 reps
165#/100# Snatch, 30 reps
210#/120# Snatch, as many reps as possible
For a downloadable PDF of the workout, click here.